[teacherartexchange] Ed Bisese - Contemporary artist to inspire

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 14:57:08 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a contemporary artist many of your students will like (Wendy
Free - I hope you are reading - I know you will like his work)

Ed Bisese:
http://www.edbisese.com/
Cartoon-ish paintings - drawings and sculptures.
Sculptures are large scale paper mache on wood frame

Ed is from College Park Maryland (near Washington DC)

Here are write ups about his work:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/11/AR2006051100473.html?sub=AR
http://www.gazette.net/stories/051706/entevis161959_31960.shtml

"At first, the creep factor got my attention, then nostalgic memories
of visiting carnival fun houses. But finally, what hooked me is
painter Ed Bisese's ability to stir up so many varied emotions."

"Whether Bisese's figures are meant to be surrealist nightmares or
simply Mr. Green Jeans out for his morning constitutional, getting the
artist to talk about his ideas isn't easy. His mild manner and
thoughtful demeanor sharply contrast with the images he has created:
distorted smiling faces, some with razor thin teeth, others wearing
bizarre masks."
copied from article by by Karen Schafer

Be sure to preview and select work for student viewing - some may be
too creepy for wee ones.

Enjoy,

Judy Decker