Re: [teacherartexchange] what levels of digital technology will we be teaching in 10 years?!

---------

From: Marcella Saoud (saoudm_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 07:19:50 PDT

A friend of mine teaches digital photography at a prep school in Little
Rock and the students' work is really good. Her name is Jennifer
Desarmeaux but she's going back to school in the fall to get her
masters. http://www.episcopalcollegiate.com/academics/index.asp click
on the "Fine Arts Gallery" on the right.

>>> just.jen.ellis@gmail.com 3/2/2007 7:17:11 PM >>>
I am thinking over the next few years of going back and getting a
graduate degree. Right now I have a BFA in digital media. But I also
had a strong emphasis in photography.

The sole purpose of this degree would be to teach beginning digital
classes at the college level. (web, design, photo)

I saw this video the other day sent to me by another teacher....and I
got terrified.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xHWTLA8WecI

I was in fact one of those that was prepared for a job that did not
exist 10 years ago (online education).

My sister (5 years younger) and I took our very first flash class
offered at our schools at the same time. Me in college, her in high
school.

The program wasn't even created until 1996. The one I use everyday.

In 5-10 years will the classes I took in college be at the grade
school level? Probably.

I know that most of my colleagues that are in "tech" world got there
mostly on self study not on professors. Did we blame our teachers? No,
of course not, how could you expect them to keep up on everything as a
new program upgrade is released on average every 2 years?

I find that most colleges rely on graduate students to teach their
advanced digital courses because even though they have no teaching
experience they are more familiar with the digital programs.

I know that currently I am allowed to attend 1 workshop a year to
"freshen" up on things...but I know that I am already way
behind.......which is so crazy!

So my question to you is this:
Would it make more sense to investigate an advanced degree to teach
h.s. or even grade school?

Could anyone give me some insight on the classes they currently offer
at your hs and elementary schools? Or what direction you think it will
move to?

Or any general advice on how you cope with this "teaching for jobs
that don't exist"?

Thanks so much to you all!

Jen-Cleveland, OH