[teacherartexchange] right brainers

---------

From: christy hedman (christyhedman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 15:25:01 PDT

Hi Everyone,
Last week I attended an arts educator conference
presented by the Arts Education Collaborative of
Pittsburgh. The main speaker was Dan Pink who wrote "A
Whole New Brain - Why right brainers will rule the
world." He makes a strong case for how the arts will
impact the future economy and how the current mode of
assessing via bubble dot tests is not enough. The
ironic thing was that while he was speaking, all of
our students were taking PSSA's!
I would suggest every art teacher, administrator and
legislator out there read it! He even took the Betty
Edwards, Draawing on the right side of the brain class
with Betty Edwards son. What's great about Dan Pink is
that he's a left- brainer (not of our "tribe" as he
put it!), but he sees the innate value to the arts
completing the whole person. It's a great fast read as
well.
Christy Hedman
Potter
3 D Art teacher