Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] reglazing mugs

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2007 - 10:22:28 PDT

Reading about glazing and fumes--is it normal to have some fumes--bad
smelling--when doing a glaze firing? I was firing a load of clay bowls that
were glazed with concept underglazes--at cone 05. I have a Skutt kiln with
the envirovent system. The smell was really bad. ???

Mary H.

> Pottery is often decorated using overglazes, china paints, and lusters.
> However, to make them easy to brush on, many of these materials are
> suspended in TOXIC aromatic hydrocarbons. I use lusters, but only when I
> can sit outside with the wind from my back to carry the vapors away. If
> you can smell it, your brain is being effected. It is not safe to use.
> Firing also releases the toxins.

To unsubscribe go to