RE: [teacherartexchange] class size

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 11:58:58 PDT

To add to the discussion of class size, it also depends on the mix of kids.
I teach high school, and can have a class of 23 that will work out fine
because of the 'mix' of kids and then a class of 23 where tensions run high.
I have two smaller classes of advanced students and they are so close that
it is a joy to watch them collaborate daily. I also teach in a substandard
sized room (and I was looking on line for information on square foot per
student allowance), because the room I am in would hold 16 comfortably, so
that 23 has it's pressures just in terms of room size, traffic flow, use of
materials etc. Along with the space limitations for the larger classes,
consideration must be given to the size of the work each student can do, and
storage consideration.

All part of an art teacher's challenges in a public school funded by tax
payers' dollars.

San D