Re: [teacherartexchange] class size

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2007 - 11:39:26 PDT

I completely agree with Woody. When classes are too large you end up with
days where it seems every child needs help and you end up with not enough
time to help them. Ideally, I have appx. 2 1/2 minutes per student (high
school level) - every student won't need help every day, but this seems to
be a nice number (20-23). BUT numbers are relevant - a class of 11 of the
right mix of students and the class ends up being more like "40" (our first
grade is like this this year - only 17 of them, but they are a mighty 17!
Full of strong personalities!). On the other hand, a class of 11 highly
motivated students can allow you to try projects you might not otherwise - I
did the tape sculptures last year when my class was small, and they were
awesome! I won't do clay animation with middle school when I have 20+
students, but always do with smaller groups. And you absolutely must teach
differently with smaller groups!
~Michal