RE:[teacherartexchange] Torn paper collage

---------

From: Chantal Pinnow (cpinnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 21:38:15 PDT

I used a lesson modified from Dick Blick lesson plans
(http://www.dickblick.com/lessonplans/2005tornpaperports/) when we made torn
paper portraits. They turned out very nice. I used it with my 9-12th graders
when we were studying value.
-I took black and white photos of each student and printed them around 8x10
size.
-I have a roll of plastic (used for laminating). We put a square of it on
top of the photo and the students had to match the values. They glued the
torn paper directly on top of the plastic.
-This project took a LONG time (about 20 days -40-50 minute class periods).
I ended up mixing in some one day drawing projects every few days to keep
them from getting bored.
- Last year we just used torn paper from magazines, but it proved hard to
find all the ranges of grays. This year, I plan on letting them paint papers
different shades and use those.
-I allowed my kids to create any kind of background they liked. The black
and white faces really stood out against colored backgrounds.
-Teeth (especially braces) were tough to do. So I suggest keeping mouths
closed if they have braces.
The kids did a great job with this one. Almost everyone was successful and
it really showed them how a wide range of values can make a picture.

Chantal