Re: [teacherartexchange] Right and Left Brain

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 20:23:19 PST

I taught Middle School 28 years and used the first few ideas from Dr.
Betty
Edwards first book. We had good success with up side down copying, blind
contour drawing, face/vase drawings, negative space, etc. I used her
ideas to
reinforce the hemisphere concepts. I made a big poster of the brain and
it's functions. The lessons took root and stayed with most students. Of
course I'd continually reinforce the ideas each time we did drawings by
reminding the students to not name what they drew, just copy the lines
and edges you see before you.

Twenty years ago a student came back from High School to borrow my notes
on brain research for a science project. Her High School science teacher
could not understand why she was learning this sort of stuff in an art
class. I say - push the kids - give them big ideas, don't water down
the learning. They will amaze you. Of course many science teachers
really
are out of their element. I even had one science teacher confront me
to tell me I was teaching color theory wrong. I tried to explain that
there were at least three ways to teach color theory. She didn't even
know that light and pigment primaries were different.

Keep pushing - your kids will get there, Woody

On Mar 10, 2007, at 8:57 PM, Boots13@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have any concrete tips/suggestions or even handouts on
> how to
> explain the theories in the Betty Edwards book "Drawing on the
> Right Side of
> the Brain"?
> My students are just getting into color, but I have still managed to
> implement drawing in every class we have since it is an hour and a
> half (once a
> week) however many of them still lack the confidence and skills of
> drawing due to
> the fact they will not LET themselves progress or become
> successful... most
> of the time.
>

> Thanks.
> Terri NYC
>
> <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now
> offers free
> email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at
> http://www.aol.com.
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque