Re: [teacherartexchange] Any 4th grade extra credit ideas?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 12:03:59 PST

Marvin, I have been teaching weaving to 4th graders for 10 years now, and
the boys almost always enjoy it more than the girls! Those few who don't
tend to be the type that would rather not do anything (the goof-offs) BUT I
don't allow them to not work. If they don't work it is a visit to the
principal to explain why they won't work, a phone call to their parents to
explain why they will be failing, and of course they still have to do the
project. I have never had to go this far, but the students always know it
will happen.

I agree with the extra-credit portion. I would allow the student to create a
presentation, research paper, whatever works in your situation, explaining
the weaving process. AND I would not give full credit for the research. I
recently took my high school students (who I have had for their entire
educational years so they know my expectations) to the art museum an hours
drive away. I had worksheets for them to do, and I told them the worksheets
would be worth a LOT of points. Several of my boys decided to not to the
worksheet, and the next day when I put in the points they ALL dropped to
failing. I allowed them to make up 1/2 of those points by going to the local
museum and writing on the exhibit. I realize these kids are a lot older than
your fourth grader, but sometimes they need a life lesson in responsibility.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids