Re: [teacherartexchange] Any 4th grade extra credit ideas?

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 11:39:34 PST

Carol, your question is below.

In principle, I think extra credit needs to be more work than the missed assignment. Otherwise kids are rewarded for goofing off.

Is the 4th grade student asking for an extra credit assignment? If not, it may not do any good to assign it, but it could still be offered to him as an option. I he decides to do it, I think he will learn more.

You say this is a capable student. Do you think he saw the assignment as challenging enough to require his original thinking and ideas?

If this 4th grader wants to have extra credit, you might allow him to prepare a 5 minute Power Point presentation on 3 or more types of artist weaving techniques taken from books and the Internet with 4 or more correct bibliographic references. Have him include both genders in his examples of professional work. Allowing two or three weeks to complete it. It would be for you only to see, but if it is well done, you could ask him if he would like to present it to the class. It might provide a good art history connection about weaving for the whole class and he would gain status.

Our 4th grade granddaughter's public school classroom teacher recently gave her class an assignment for each student to prepare a Power Point on a student selected topic. They had to include correct bibliographic information. Our granddaughter reported on 12 endangered animals and 5 endangered plants.

If your student has no access to Power Point, could you allow a written paper (plus illustrations or woven examples that he makes) with similar bibliographic requirements?

For future reference, what if this weaving lesson changed to require all students to do a small hands-on practice prior to the assignment in place of (or immediately following) the teacher demo? Make it easy enough to do without a demo (or have the practice piece follow the demo immediately), but with a bit of peer to peer assistance. No one at the table is allowed to move to the main assignment until the practice work is successfully completed by every person at their table. The main assignment requires unique design work from each student. This approach makes it virtually impossible for students to goof off and ignore the instructions. A Chinese proverb says: "Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Have me do it and I understand."

I enjoy weaving, but maybe some other boys think weaving is for girls.

Several of my most prized possessions are woven. One is a traditional functional cassava strainer from Belize made form grass, one is an abstract padded wall hanging by a former student, and one is a complex double weave geometric pattern made on an 8 harness loom by a colleague.

Marvin