[teacherartexchange] Any 4th grade extra credit ideas?

---------

From: Carol K. (artcek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 09:42:41 PST

Hi everyone. I teach elementary & I have a 4th grade student who
failed a project because he was goofing off in class instead of
focusing on his work.

My question is,
In that scenario, would you give your students an extra credit
assignment to do at home to raise their grade? And if so, what would
you give a fourth grader?

Ideally, I would have him redo the project but it was a weaving
project and he never "got" how to do it because he wasn't paying
attention (and I tried to give him one-on-on help multiple times but
he was not paying attention). This is a very intelligent student and
he is capable of doing a very nice job but he is in a classroom full
of students with conflicting personalities and he allows himself to
get distracted.

To complicate matters, & for reasons beyond my control, that class
will miss art for the last 3 weeks of the quarter. So I am feeling a
little obliged to give him a chance to raise his grade.

Any ideas? I'm meeting with his mom this week.
-Carol

Oh, and to clarify my first question:
"Would you give your students an extra credit assignment to do at
home to raise their grade?"
In the past I have contacted parents to notify them of a failing
grade and I have not given extra credit assignments. I just expected
the students to work harder in class for the remainder of the quarter
to bring up their grade. Is this what you do or do you give extra
credit assignments?

Thanks for any feedback!