[teacherartexchange] Casta Painting in New Spain

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 16:43:49 PST

Today in my docent painting I learned about a type of painting in
New Spain (Colonial Mexico) called Casta Painting. At that time
Mexico had a large number of casts or levels of privilege. There
was also large amount of inter-racial marriages. Casta Paintings
were a way of documenting the practice and identifying the cast
or race of the offspring of the mixed coupling. This site has a
description of Casta Painting and links to various examples:
http://www.college.emory.edu/culpeper/BAKEWELL/thinksheets/castas.html

When the North Americans came down the Santa Fe trail, the citizens of
what is now New Mexico could not understand the "norte americanos"
strange strict restrictions about race. These Casta Paintings may
give teachers some unique resources to incorporate in multi-cultural
education. What do you think ?
                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net