RE: [teacherartexchange] MA vs. MFA

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 15:20:56 PST

To add to Sheri's point, I went back and got a certificate in English, and
weaseled my way into the English department (HS) by developing a course and
then teaching it. I am now accruing tenure in the English department while I
teach art, so that if they ever eliminated art, I would technically be able
to bump someone from the English department with less years accrued. I never
planned to teach college, so my Masters is in Liberal Studies (think
Humanities), and it combines music, literature and art. I also have enough
credits to be a supervisor but never submitted the paperwork (long story
short, I'd rather teach), so all in all I am on the Masters plus step on our
guide. If teaching is your calling, I recommend going to get another
certificate (license) as a great plan B.

San D