Re: [teacherartexchange] Display Board Ideas

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 17:22:42 PST

>Does anybody have any great ideas for building display/exhibit panels? We can't afford those incredibly expensive ones, and were thinking about using plywood to build some of our own. Has anybody had any luck doing this? I was brainstorming materials, and thought chicken wire on a wood frame with some feet for support might work. I'm not sure how stable that would be, though. My principal (and I, for that matter) would like to create more of a gallery-type look for our middle

Check out this product at your building supply store.

http://www.knightcelotex.com/productline/TackableWalls/TW_overview.asp

You may find other products that have similar properties, but some are unpainted, some painted, and some cloth covered.

We have framed tackable uncovered raw tackable fiberboard and set it up as a self supporting walls
that undulate like this: \_/ \_/ (this is a top view) (add another section in the middle gap) Each section is 4 feet wide and 8 feet high. Use any number of sections (depending on space availble). Pushpins are adequate to display unframed paper artwork with or without lightweight mats.

Stretch it out the undulating configuration to open up the angles to about 30 degrees and you can use all the surfaces for display on both sides and it still stands okay. We also cover art room walls with white painted tackable fiberboard. Great for critiques and to post reproductions.

For a more professional gallery wall, I like a natural tone loose weave monks cloth mounted on plywood panels. The cloth wraps around the edges of the plywood panels and is stapled to the back of plywood. Then mount the panels on the firing strips on the wall or sandwich them back to back for two sided display boards. Set them up in L shapes or use the undulating wall configuration shown above. Loose weave monks cloth is self healing so you can use nails (size 4d), small screws, push pins, etc. and remove them without a trace. Use thin stainless nails and clean hands so the cloth stays clean and nice.

Marvin

How to hang displays with masking tape without having the stuff fall down within a week or less.
http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/arted/tape.html