RE:[teacherartexchange] what levels of digital technology will we be teaching in 10 years?!

---------

From: Ellen Burnside (ellenburnside_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 11:24:42 PST

Hello,
I am also a photographer ( BS from RIT in biomedical photographic
communications 1997) and an art teacher ( MA in art ed from CWRU 2004). I am
currently in my first year of teaching HS art. Among the classes I teach are
photo 1 and 2 and Computer Art (Photoshop). Web Design and Multimedia are
also offered at the school through another department. I too am concerned
with keeping my classes and my own knowledge current. Since RIT is always
on the very cutting edge of technology and current trends, I recently
contacted Michael Peres, the chair of the Biomed Dept at RIT, to get his
take on things. He told me that this coming fall will be the first year
entering freshmen will not be required to take a class in traditional
darkroom. He also said that film may not be available for very much longer.
He said the main focus of our teaching should be on seeing and how to create
an image no matter what means we use to do that. I was also concerend that
at the HS where I teach they mostly use point and shoot cameras for the
photo 1 classes. I felt there should be more technology involved. But
Michael pointed out that often simpler is better and less confusing for the
beginner. Simpler technology may help us concentrate more on the main
objective of image making. My own thoughts on the matter: just as we've had
to constantly upgrade our skills and knowledge , so will our students. Part
of what they need to learn is that there will always be something new around
the corner. But with skills to troubleshoot and figure things out they will
be able to stay on top of it.

I'd also like to suggest that you look into the art education program at
CWRU (Clevelan). It has its strengths and weaknesses but I feel overall it
is a very good program. It seems to be geared towards people who have an art
background who want to become teachers, although I have know a few graduates
who were already teachers for many years and came to get their MA. Since I
graduated from the program in 1994, they have added a digital technology
class as part of the program. It is taught by Jared Bendis who formerly
worked and taught for the college's technology center and now runs the
digital multimedia center at the Kelvin Smith Library on campus. Jared is a
genius when it comes to technology, especially when it involves visual
applications. His class covers a variety of applications and he is very much
on the cutting edge. I'm sure he'd be willing to talk with you about what he
does and the future of technology in education. He's a really friendly guy.

Good luck and please share any ideas and thoughts you have concerning
digital technology.
-Ellen Burnside