RE: [teacherartexchange] High School Ceramics Assessment lesson

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 05:07:29 PST

 What I would do with my students (with the same makeup as yours) would be
to have them design a "gallery" and "display" the pieces you have (or give
them each photos of 6-8 pieces). This gallery would be on paper, and would
consist of pedastals (that they could draw as rectangles or cylindars), and
they would "put" each of the pieces on the "pedastals". The assessment part
would be that they would have to talk about why they put each piece where
and how it relates to the surrounding pieces. I might even have them come up
with a theme of the gallery show, and then have them 'think' about each
piece and how it relates to the theme as well. I would insist that they talk
about the shape, texture, glaze of each piece in relation to the other
pieces in the gallery and to the theme. When my supervisor came in, they
would each show their gallery (which would be mounted on cardboard, or foam
core), stand up in front of the class and talk about their choices as
"curator".

San D