RE: [teacherartexchange] A good story about an "at-risk" student

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 04:26:48 PST

Ahhh... the application of concepts, great number sense - which is more
math than arithmetic. Truly, schools only teach arithmetic - and
standardized tests primarily test reading skills - for all subjects.

I just read two articles on math that hit home - there is such a thing
as math anxiety (I don't have it, but I have three sons paralyzed by it)
- and the other was from a professor at Stanford (I think) - about mind
set intelligence/fixed mind set intelligence.

Two groups of students in the 7th grade - one group is taught how the
brain works - how to use it - how to stretch the muscle... a mini
neuroscience course...

The other is taught the good old study skills -

Observe the two groups for two years - the 'brain' group had improved
math scores - the fixed mind set group stayed the same.

Thanks for giving your student the chance -
Ellen