[teacherartexchange] SchoolArts Magazine - April Issue - Good articles

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2006 - 14:13:38 PST

Dear TeacherArtExchange Members,

I see we are back... I am going to combine two SchoolArts posts that
were missed.

I picked up a SchoolArts Magazine (April issue) at the NAEA Convention
(I was there for one day). I wanted to read Ken Rohrer's article on
NCLB. The April issue is a gold mine of good ideas - plus has a very
good article on Copyright by Craig Roland.

Here is the first message - about the calendar featured in each issue:

School Arts has a nice calendar each month. At the back of the issue
is a calendar with important artists' birthdays. You can file these
away - then have a display of your own each month with some of your
favorites for students to learn about. Here are just a few for April:
Leonardo da Vinci - April 15, 1452
Thomas Hart Benton - April 15, 1889
Joan Miro - April 20, 1893
John James Audubon - April 26, 1785

Wanted to let you know that Ken Rohrer (of IAD fame - he created
Incredible Art Department) has an article in the April issue -
"Creatively Incorporating Standards in the Artroom" - how the art
teacher deals with No Child Left Behind....The solution is to
implement some core curriculum content standards into the art
curriculum. Ken offers some ideas in the article. See page 9.

Dawn Stienecker - ArtsEducators list member - has an article on Art
Cars. Ken Vieth has a good lesson on coil face vessels (good for
middle school and high school). Nicole Brisco has a great lesson on
high school still life.... much more to see.

Post about Craig's Copyright article:

This article by Craig Roland in SchoolArts April magazine is very good.

"Copyright Sites for Teachers and Students" page 38

"Teachers need to educate their students about the importance and
requirements of copyright law"

I will be compiling his recommended sites to put on Incredible Art Department.

Here they are:
U.S, Copyright Office Web site
http://www.copyright.gov
He recommends you download a copy of "Reproduction of Copyrighted
Works by Educators and Librarians" - found under
Publications.Circulars and Brochures.

Benedict O'Mahoney's Copyright Web site:
http://www.benedict.com
Includes examples of court cases involving copyright infringement.

University of Texas' Crash Course in copyright
http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/IntellectualProperty/cprtindx.htm

The Copyright Site:
http://www.thecopyrightsite.org

Copyright Kids
http://www.copyrightkids.org

Copyright with Cyberbee:
http://www.cyberbee.com/copyrt.html

Thank you Dr. Roland for getting this message out to more art
educators via School Arts.

See the complete list of articles:
http://www.davis-art.com/Portal/SchoolArts/SAdefault.aspx
See the online articles, too.

Note: Dr. Craig Roland - professor University of Florida - has an
article in School Arts each month for integrating technology/using the
Internet. Craig is the author of The Art Teacher's Guide to the
Internet - Davis Publications 2005. I highly recommend the book.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/