[teacherartexchange] Art Classes and Rocket Science

---------

From: woodyduncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 15:14:54 PST

I had a shop teacher back at the Middle School who always said,
"this isn't rocket science" about almost everything. That reminded
me of the words spoken by our dinner speaker at last years
New Mexico Art Ed Conference.

This is a excerpt from Jaune Quick-To-See Smith's speech from the
2005 conference:
(Juane is an accomplished modern painter and also a Native American)

The Renaissance was a specific time in history when art and science
worked hand in hand to describe the world, give explanations about
the unknown and to invent the new. Without the paintings and drawings
of that time science would not be as advanced today. Botany and
mapping the human body, were only two of the important fields that
were advancements in our world of knowledge.

Many parts of science in today's world cannot be recorded by cameras
or designed without drawings by the human hand. Archeology;
continuous mapping of the human body and animal life; inventions such
as new rockets, cars and architecture are only a bare mention of the
areas that artists are needed.

So what I'm saying is that yes, art taught in school does lead some
artists to become rocket scientists.

Art taught in school encourages a child to be expressive, imaginative
and gives them intellectual stimulation that helps them in all other
classes. Art is the only class that is not about memorization or that
has only right and wrong answers. But what it does do for a child is
to teach them to analyze and think; it teaches a child to make
choices and to invent. No other class in school allows a child to
develop these skills. Art is vital to helping America's youth
becoming tomorrow's inventors, architects and scientists.

                        Thought her words were important, Woody
Art classes are not rocket science, they just create rocket scientists.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703