Re: [teacherartexchange] Graffiti and Cave art project

---------

From: woodyduncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2006 - 15:03:37 PST

I would only suggest that you include some of the Native American
"Rock Art" from the southwest for your students to discuss.
I think it is more related to modern day Graffiti.
West of Albuquerque there is lots of it all over the
volcanic rock. It's a national monument site now. There is a major
outcry whenever there is an attempt or a suggestion to relocate any
of it. That has held up major highway extensions for years. At the
same time, if I spot Graffiti on a wall or building and phone the hot
line, the city will paint over the graffiti the next day.
                                                Woody
http://www.cs.unm.edu/~brayer/rock/sandia.html

On Mar 20, 2006, at 9:49 AM, staciemich@aol.com wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm putting together a lesson on wall art. I plan on showing a
> video on Lascaux and on Haring. I want the kids to discuss the
> similarities and differences between graffiti art and cave art. I
> want to let them do a piece of wall art, using large paper on the
> wall, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I like the idea of
> chalboard paint and chalk...but I'm not sure. How would you guys
> set it up? I have 30 students. Do I have them all decide on a
> theme and work on one cohesive piece together? Do I break them
> into several groups, and each group does a part? Should different
> groups come up with a sketch to present to the class, and have the
> class vote on the one that will be used?
>
> I really would like this to come out nicely and focus on the things
> that matter to these kids today. I don't know if I'll have them
> paint about different things that are important or if I'll have the
> create one piece with a central theme. I'm thinking of putting
> together an art show next month, and I'd love for this to be a
> featured piece.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Stacie D.