[teacherartexchange] Typography (Letters) Cardboard Relief Lesson

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 13:34:04 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Kevan Nitzberg sent me a lesson that would work for middle school
(with some minor adaptations) through high school. I got this on line
since it fit in with the theme Power of Words.... Here students find
beauty in two letters of their choice repeated in a relief sculpture.
I did a similar lesson with 7th grade many moons ago using numbers (so
I know they can do this, too). I did allow my 7th graders to use
number templates that I had.... or they could draw their own numbers.

Typography Relief Sculpture:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Kevan-letter.htm

You could integrate technology by having middle school select a
computer font and them blow them up in Publisher (you can make large
outlined letters and print them off).

Hope someone out there finds this lesson useful.

Thanks for sharing Kevan, I added a few notes here and there - plus
added a simple rubric.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/