[teacherartexchange] Art of Japan Resources - Prints and more

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 08:29:08 PST

Dear Art Educators,

Linda Bee posted these links to Net Gold list.

 The Japan Ukiyo-e Museum Guide
http://www.cjn.or.jp/ukiyo-e/index.html
Note: This site has gif images of many prints (not real high quality
images) I would use it as a reference for the key printmakers - then
surf on line for better images for PowerPoint presentations. I will be
adding a link to my Japan Web Resources.

UKIYO-E :
Wood-block prints of everyday life of the past Japan

The average citizen's mood of Edo period (1603 - 1867)
was an extremely buoyant and joyful one --- not the transitory,
heavy atmosphere characteristic of the troubled middle
age. The word "ukiyo-e" means "the picture of buoyant
world" and incorporates in its meaning the common man's
daily pleasures, such as Kabuki plays, Geisha houses,
and so on. The forerunner of Edo period prints were simple
drawings that gradually developed into a wood-block, thus
satisfying the growth of the demand.
(this is copied from the site)

Also see:

Ukiyo-e: The Pictures of the Floating World
http://user.bahnhof.se/~secutor/ukiyo-e/
(This site is already linked on my site.)

Tokugawa Art Museum (In Japanese or English)
http://www.tokugawa-art-museum.jp/english/index.html
This museum site has six rooms of Japanese art in Permanent Collection.
See some beautiful Kimonos and much more.

I will be adding this Museum site to my resources page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/oriental.htm

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department