[teacherartexchange] Art with Text - Values Self Portraits (Character Ed words)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 06:12:33 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Tammy Willis (now married.... but can't remember her last name) shared
images of her self portraits with Art Education and ArtsEducators
lists (in Photos section - you have to subscribe to view photos). I
added two of them to the page of Self Portrait lesson ideas:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/selfport.htm
Her project was added at the top (page has a lot of images so may take
a while to load).

Tammy took photos of the students, changed them to gray scale and
printed them off. You could use mirrors instead if you wish. Students
painted the portrait in a gray scale - mixing tints and shades using
only black and white. They cut the portraits out and mounted to black
paper - then painted their Values around the portrait. These were very
striking. I picked two examples that showed very different styles of
painting.

This was for the theme Power of Words.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department