[teacherartexchange] Art Education list posts are now public (boys and violent drawings)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 05:30:52 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I invited all of you to join Art Education list the other day......

The topic of boys and violent drawings came up on both TAB Choice list
and Art Education list. Both archives are now PUBLIC. Ken Rohrer
switched Art Education. You still need to be a member if you want to
view the files and photos that are posted for the group.

Those of you interested in reading the Boys and Violent Drawings
thread may want to check Art Education archives....
The posts began on March 7 with # 9074 and continued for several days.

This was Katherine's post:

Good morning...

A few days ago I caught a few seconds on NPR about how education
fails to address the difference between how boys and girls learn. I
thought to myself that this is true. Throughout college, student
teaching, subbing and now into my first year teaching elementary
art, this has not come up.

In the beginning of this year I made it clear to my students that I
do not allow any weapons, blood or violence drawn in their work. I
feel that while I can't control the war in Iraq, how the media
chooses to bombard us with murder, violence and war...I can omit
that from our art environment. Enough is enough.

But now I am not sure. Boys will be boys, meaning they are naturally
drawn to blood and guts, guns, fighting. Is this wrong to not permit
these natural expressions? Where do I draw the line (no pun
intended)?

Please - do not reply to this post as Katherine got a lot of help and
is not a member of these lists. If you do want to make a post on this
subject - please do NOT include my email address in your post and
change the subject line so folks know what your post is about.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/