Re: [teacherartexchange] DeviantArt

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 12:17:28 PST

I feel the same way you do about anime, but this year I told some kids they could have Anime
club on Fri. afternoons after school in my room. They mostly watch the cartoons, but they also
have poetry contests, drawing contests and they read their writing. The themes are always
the same for all of it---Loser outsider unpopular poorly treated kids surviving and succeeding in
some way. I realize when I look at the kids who are really into it--that it is like therapy for kids
who don't fit the high school mold. I'll probably see 40 kids in here tonite.

>>> mikellee31@yahoo.com 03/17/06 8:31 AM >>>
Unfortunately, all of my students who loved Deviant
Art were they ones who I had trouble convincing that
they needed to push harder and break out of their
comfort zones. They felt they were good enough because
of all the great feedback they got from that site.
They had the illusion that it was a community of
artists who were in favor of their art. It is just a
huge community for kids who repeatedly draw the same
cliche's. Anime, girls crying blood with hair in their
eye, hand reaching out of water, big sad eyes,
crouching figure in corner, demented toys...arghhh.
Maybe someone else had a more positive experience-
That website was my arch-nemesis as a high school art
teacher!! -MIkel