Re: [teacherartexchange] DeviantArt

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 08:31:04 PST

Unfortunately, all of my students who loved Deviant
Art were they ones who I had trouble convincing that
they needed to push harder and break out of their
comfort zones. They felt they were good enough because
of all the great feedback they got from that site.
They had the illusion that it was a community of
artists who were in favor of their art. It is just a
huge community for kids who repeatedly draw the same
cliche's. Anime, girls crying blood with hair in their
eye, hand reaching out of water, big sad eyes,
crouching figure in corner, demented toys...arghhh.
Maybe someone else had a more positive experience-
That website was my arch-nemesis as a high school art
teacher!! -MIkel