Re: [teacherartexchange] school art show - including art from the community?

---------

From: woodyduncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 20:18:47 PST

> I'm getting ready to do a school wide art show and I'm considering
> asking our whole community to participate- ..........
> .......... What I'm wondering is if any of you have experience to
> share with me.
> I know I need to establish size and content guidelines when inviting
> people to participate, and I guess some kind of release form. Can any
> of you share forms or letters you've generated if you've done this
> kind of a project ?
Susan,
We did an art fair near the end of the school year at my
middle school. It was good to have the music department,
band, strings and vocal do concerts the same week. Lots of
parents support the music programs so in really boosts the
crowds. Many of my students were not in my classes near
the end of the year because of rotations each quarter or
at the semester. I had saved art from many, many students
from earlier classes. It takes a lot of thinking through how
you are going to prepare/mat and label all this work. Of course
hanging and taking it down is a chore too.

The district had numerous (40 +) display boards that we could
request to be delivered and picked up. The first week of school
I put my request in for the display boards. I also requested all
of the showcases, tack strips, and bulletin boards in the halls
for mid May.

I put most of my classes to work on various tasks:
making name tags
making number tags (for voting)
making ribbons (for awards)
filling out information forms (for back of art)
        these forms would tell us name/grade/and the room number of the
        artists last period --- when the art came down we would sort it by
        these room numbers --- then we could return the art to the artist
        so they could easily take it home from their last class
by "we" I mean my students --- I put them all to work on various tasks
you need to really think out the organization of it all so it comes
off well

the whole school voted on the art and we gave out awards at an all
school
assembly at the end of the school year. the entire process can be very
impressive. it's a great way to build pride in their work and to
build up
the art program.

What you said, "I don't want to bite off more than I can chew" is very
thoughtful. Think it through and decide what you wish to accomplish and
how it can be done. Break it into small parts so it can be done by your
students. Make it look good and professional --- you can always add more
each year as you find out what works for you.
                                        Good Luck, Woody

On Mar 14, 2006, at 7:55 PM, holland.su@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, so let me know if you
> are aware of pitfalls before I get going on this.
> Thanks,
> Susan
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to