[teacherartexchange] native american art

---------

From: JLC (jeanette_10_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 06:00:45 PST

I just wanted to comment abt students making native
american artwork in class.
First of all, I am part native- but was raised in a
white culture. I just recently researched my "roots"
and am finding out all kinds of interesting things.
Most of the "craft items" that you might see at art
shows, such as dream catchers, were NOT supposed to be
known by the general public. Keep in mind that objects
like these were once held sacred by the People.
There are numerous sacred objects that are now made by
other cultures and up for sale at craft fairs- its a
shame that this happened, but it did happen.
I would let the students know about the culture, study
a particular culture/tribe- let the students know that
all "indians are NOT all alike" and each tribe has its
own culture and traditions.
I dont see any harm in the kids doing their OWN
creations from their own cultures, as someone said in
another post. Real genuine art comes from within a
person anyway- imitate anothers art and its always
just that, an imitation.
Thanks for letting me "spout off"!
Good day