Re: [teacherartexchange] Respecting diverse cultures in the art curriculum and being willing to adapt

---------

From: woodyduncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 19:51:39 PST

On Mar 12, 2006, at 8:16 PM, Maggie White wrote:

> The students for whom it was written were encouraged to develop
> their own symbols for something important in their lives and use
> those symbols on artifacts of their own making. A more respectful
> and thoughtful approach, I think, but...
>
> Instead of replicating artifacts, the students should be making
> their own, with their own motifs. And if that motif is from sports
> or the street or their music instead of the more-romantic ancestral
> culture, then why shouldn't it be allowed?

Maggie,
        You are right on as usual. Years ago I took a week long "Black on
Black" pottery workshop
from Barbara Gonzales, San Ildelfonso Pueblo. She is the great-grand
daughter of Maria
Martinez. Barbara taught us the techniques used in her pottery making
using authentic materials.
But she insisted that we use our own design ideas rather than try and
mimic the pueblo designs.
That made a real impression on me and effected the way I approached
art based on various
cultures with my students.
                                                                        Woody
How was the snow in Arizona ? We got some this morning but it was
gone by noon.

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons