Re: [teacherartexchange] Norval Morrisseau - Ojibwe Native American Art to admire

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 09:09:53 PST

I'm not saying don't show/discuss religous icons from other culutres. I'm
also guilty of creating religous icons in my classroom. But as society
changes I'm wondering why we focus solely on the religous icons when there
are so many other images we can use. 10 years ago we could teach Native
American art without thought about which tribe created the artwork to begin
with - now we narrow our focus to specific tribes and try to be sensitive to
the differences between Northwest Coastal vs. Navajo. Most of the
"multi-cultural" books I have - all purchased 8-12 years ago, all simplify
these cultures, with the making of paper bag moccasins and vests for Native
American art. So, in my own teaching, I am moving more away from the
religous icons and broadening my scope to focus more on the daily
life/art/culture. That is my intent anyways.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids