Re: [teacherartexchange] elementary art books

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 14:50:33 PST

Have you tryed giving them a 5 minute warning? I find that if I let my
younger students know that they have 5 minutes until clean-up that they
transition better. After everyone is cleaned up I have them stand behind
their chairs (this ensures the chairs get pushed in) and with the younger
students they LOVE playing the "color shirt" game - the kids named it, so
that's what we call it. I will call out "whoever has on the colors that
yellow and red mixed together make may line up". If they discover they don't
have on any orange then they want to find someone who does! With the older
students they keep checkbooks in their classroom where they get to
deposit/debit based on academic achievement and behavior. I will often let
them deposit if they have a good day with me - positive reinforcement works
well at this age.

If your budget is tight you can find hundreds of great lesson ideas online.
I find that kinders and first grade really need to work on fine motor
skills, so we cut and glue alot! Once you get to know your classes you'll
find it easy to choose lessons and adjust accordingly. The best part of
teaching elementary is the hugs, the complete pride in their work, and all
the drawings you get to hang on your wall!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids