[teacherartexchange] Gordon Parks - and African American Hero - Photography and more

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 08:23:02 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I know many of you were saddened by the news of the death of Gordon Parks.
I meant to get this posted the other day. You will need to subscribe
to NY Times to get the article.... NY Times subscription is well worth
it and FREE.

Gordon Parks, a Master of the Camera, Dies at 93
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/arts/design/08parks.html?th&emc=th

By ANDY GRUNDBERG
Mr. Parks was the photographer and filmmaker who used his prodigious,
largely self-taught talents to chronicle the African-American
experience.

print version:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/08/arts/design/08parks.html?_r=1&th=&emc=th&pagewanted=print&oref=slogin

More on Parks:
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=181971&inline=nyt-per

"African-American filmmaker Gordon Parks had little chance of cracking
the all-white Hollywood cinematographers' fraternity in the '50s,
despite impeccable credentials as a photojournalist for Life magazine.
Parks' entry into feature-length moviemaking came by way of the 1969
adaptation of his own autobiographical work The Learning Tree, which
related the experience of growing up black in Kansas. Parks sold the
story to Hollywood on the proviso that he be allowed to direct -- thus
making him the first-ever "mainstream" black director"
=================

I hope you photo teachers bring Gordon Parks into your curriculum - he
is one of my heroes.... just look at that face (smile).

More on Gordon Parks:
list of accomplishments:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0662953/

Photographs:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fachap07.html

Gordon Parks Collection:
http://library.pittstate.edu/spcoll/ndxparks.html

Legends Online: Gordon Parks:
http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/parks/intro_set.shtml
intro:
http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/parks/

Some nice photos of Parks:
http://www.thehistorymakers.com/biography/biography.asp?bioindex=117

Gordon Parks Online:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/parks_gordon.html

There are MANY more resources for Gordon Parks, Sr. Online..... happy surfing.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/