Re: [teacherartexchange] Respecting diverse cultures in the art curriculum and being willing to adapt

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 06:18:59 PST

Kevan,

Thanks for sharing and describing these important cultural sensitivity issues and concerns.

I have seen too many examples of what you describe. I wrote and posted CREATIVILY TEACHING MULTICULTURAL ART after seeing a group of particularly derivative look-alike sacred objects made by a middle school art class.
http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/multiculturalart.html

The essay suggests a creative approach based on building a frame of reference to nurture empathy, understanding, and respect (without being derivative or using imitation).

Marvin