Re: [teacherartexchange] Respecting diverse cultures in the art curriculum and being willing to adapt

---------

kheifetz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 06:03:13 PST

Thank you for actaully wriitng this piece. For many years I have been
thought to be opposed to exposing "cultural style " projects to the
classroom. I have refused to recreate proects with my students that
were those of another culture. In fact, the past years often I have
said little to my colleagues because so many state and national
objectives have reinforced this type of thinking.
However, over the past 10 years, I have been able to introduce projects
that included a rich, historical/cultural background by reinventing and
turning the lessons around. For example, when my students are doing a
still life, the objects are from a specific culture and that is where
the cultural factors come into play. Students will see images that are
part of that culture, do research while working on the still life
project and often have a speaker or someone who is from that cultural
background...I realize this may see simple minded to many but you can
never be another culture.
Often I think of one of my sojourns, where I encountered a young woman
who admired an indigenous group -she "became" one of those indigenous
people-but only by dress, taking up their customs, and doing what they
did in daily life. She was living a fantasy and she could not
understand why so many people in that indigenous group refused to
accept her...their culture as wonderful as it is -could not handle a
faux person-you can't be something you are not. The same with
making/creating art of a specific culture-you truly cannot create
soemthing that is not part of your cultural bkgd.

anna