Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Lessons for Styrofoam sheets - 1/2" thick

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 08:08:39 PST

Greetings Art Educators,

Sue doesn't have the materials right now for the lesson ideas I
have.... but she might be able to order them.

Here is one lesson that used 1/2" Dow board as a base. You can cut the
Styrofoam with a table saw - It does make a mess.
Relief sculpture using the plastic face forms, window screen,
cardboard scraps and plaster gauze. You can use the students' own

The theme was "What's inside my head" - the words show students
concerns. The one of the right has a poem tracing the sculpture
contours (but you can't see the words very well). The one on the right
was from a student who never had anything in the art show before.
These are just two examples I photographed that I put in the show.

Students cut the contour of the Styrofoam with hot wires (they took
them outside to cut). I saved all of the scraps and intended to make
Cubist Faces inspired by the work of Paul DeToit:
See the 2000 faces:

Be sure to browse all of his sculptures for more lesson ideas.

The other lesson I wanted to suggest was Bunki Kramer's Mask on Canvas
Paintings. Cut the Styrofoam to 12 x 18 for this lesson.
You can make the mask with plaster gauze on the plastic face forms -
or student's face.

Another idea would be an adaptation of Eric Staw's cardboard masks....
cut the Styrofoam... combine with cardboard and paint with acrylics.

You can glue the Styrofoam with white glue - secure with masking tape
- they paper mache it to get a smoother surface for painting.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources

To unsubscribe go to