Re: [teacherartexchange] Movement! -Drama and DANCE

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 05:12:31 PST

Dear Art Educators,

I did answer Becky off list right away. I have posted my idea about
adding drama and dance to art many times. I tried to add dance and
drama every chance I got. I danced right along with the kids.

Here is one ArtsEducators list post I saved.... Sadly, this member
never contributed anything..... I guess she just wanted to pick the
brains of art teachers?

"L" teaches elementary art (K-5). Monday through Thursday, she
teaches regular Visual Arts classes and on Fridays, she teaches Dance.
She use Dance class as an opportunity to teach (multiple
intelligences) visual art through kinesthetic movement. One lesson is
"Lines are to Art as Pathways are to Dance". Students interpret line
qualities of a variety of works by creating pathways.

This was one of my ideas (I got it from a Comprehensive Arts Symposium)

Have students act out their favorite color through movement/dance.
There are a number of ways you can approach this. You could keep track
of who did what color then have a group come up and line up in rainbow
order and then put the movements all together so they can SEE what the
rainbow looks like in dance. Could be fun.

You could also create dance movements to act out a famous painting....
YOU do it too.

When I did animals in art - animal symbolism, my students created
dances for their animals...... When I did African art - my students
learned some African dances (from an area dance teacher). When we did
out dance helmets, my students learned some ballet (tie in with ballet
performance of Jungle Book that they went to see).

Just be aware that when you do all of this dance and are having a
GREAT time with students completely motivated to do your lessons...
having FUN learning.... the "real" teachers will think you are crazy
and will talk about you behind your back and will poo-poo what you are
doing. Just SMILE big and know that YOU are right! If you don't want
to hear their mocking what you do - stay out of the teachers' lounge
(grin).

MOVEMENT is so important - especially for elementary and middle school
kids. There is a lesson on Incredible Art Department:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Breannie-artPE.htm
This is adaptable to other grade levels.

You can get some lengths fabric to add more to your dance movement
(like long scarves)

Regards,

Judy Decker