Re: [teacherartexchange] Movement!

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 12:41:14 PST

>. . . I am looking for more lesson plans that will offer some sort of physical activity that can be done at a playground (quickly, because we have to walk to get to the playground, so that only leaves about 20 minutes for the activity.) . . .
>Becky
>Charleston WV

Great. I agree. Students and teachers benefit by experiencing the outdoors and their worlds as artists see the world. Here are two ideas:

1. Study TREES

Get out with clipboards, paper, and pencil. Study and compare the macro and micro structure of various kinds of trees. Give them a handout with a list of awareness questions that get them to really look carefully at branches, twigs, and how every part relates to every other part in terms of size, angle, placement, form, and so on. Sketch whole trees and details. Compare being under the tree with being some distance from the tree. If allowed, climb in the tree to draw it. Teach them how artists use a pencil as a sighting device to compare sizes, angles, and so on.

See if they can identify what they have drawn using this Arbor Day site.

Learn about 193 trees and shrubs
http://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguide/browsetrees.cfm

2. Study PERSPECTIVE

Use viewfinders to make studies of the school building or nearby houses from the outside. Move the group to places that make angles to make linear perspective obvious. For even more help, have students prepare the viewfinders with simple grids using black thread and tape and white glue. Use similar grids enlarged on or under the sketching paper.

Marvin

My white oak pages:
http://www.bartelart.com/acorn.htm
My art from trees: