Re: [teacherartexchange] Movement!

---------

From: SUSAN STEVENS (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 10:59:19 PST

Have you tried a 'gallery' walk? It's not really
active movement, but it is moving...

You need to have several images of art work (calendar
pages work great) which have been laminated. Tape
those to large sheets of paper (so that there is a
very wide boarder of paper around the entire image).
Put those up around your space. Divide the students
into how ever many images you have (I usually do
groups of 3 or 4, so I need usually 8 images). Give
each group several crayola (as long as they are water
soluable) markers of the same colour (ie: 8 groups
needs 8 different colours of markers, one colour per
group). Each group starts at one image...they then
write ON the image, looking for the elements and
prinicples of design (Students love drawing on top of
art!). If you were using "the Last Supper" as an
image, you could draw a line to Christ's head, and
then write emphasis at the end of the line on the
paper margin, draw a line on the work showing the
linear perspective, etc. Give the groups a SHORT time
to work on this for the first image - maybe 3-4
minutes. I use a timer usually. Then, the entire
class rotates clockwise (or whatever) to the next
image. They now have 2 minutes (or whatever) to see
if they can find stuff that the first group did not.
Rotate again, and again, and again until each group
has been to each image. It becomes increasingly
difficult to find the elements and prinicples (that
the other groups have not already identified). I tell
my students that they can be more specific than the
last group (ie: if one group wrote 'complementary
colours' and drew a line to red and green splotches,
then the next group could write 'red and green' beside
complementary). You can easily see if groups are not
writing anything, as their colour marker will not be
showing.

Obviously not for a young class - but I suppose the
concept could be modified somehow. I do this with
grades 9 - 12.....sometimes as a review of the
elements and prinicples before exams. They seem to
enjoy it.

I also did this with my 12s last semester - I put up
about 50 postcards all in a long row around the
classroom. Then put post-its on them with numbers (in
numberical order). Then had each student take one
page, write 1 - 50 in a column. Students then had 15
minutes to try to identify all 50 eras/styles of art
(they were all modern). This was a review. Seemed to
work very well - will do that again!