[teacherartexchange] Pysanky

---------

From: SUSAN STEVENS (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 06:23:11 PST

Hi,
I seemed to have missed the original commment about
Ukranian Easter Eggs....I create Pysanky on my own,
and with my students. A few thoughts.

1. Yes, the open flame is a huge issue! Open flames
are also an issue with my school board (however, I
have received special permission to have the open
flame for this project from the school
administration). I also only do this project with
classes that I 'trust'...usually never with a junior
class (I teach highscool). This year, I am only doing
it with the Grade 11 students. There is actually
another teacher here who does it also - we share the
supplies).

2. It is skill oriented. Some students have a very
difficult time with it. I actually have an assignment
that I have created (which the students complete
before we do the actual eggs) where they work out two
traditional designs/colours, then they create two
designs of their own usinsg traditional
symbols/colours. That assignment is marked on the use
of the elements and principles of design, accuracy,
neatess, etc. (as it is done on paper with pencil
crayons). I mark only one egg (we do pysanky for
three days) on effort only (based on thier use of the
traditional symbols and colours).

3. I find that some students get very frustrated with
it, but the majority of senior students really enjoy
it - usually staying in the room over the lunch time
to continue working on them.

4. If anyone would like the pysanky materials that I
have, I would be happy to e-mail them to you....I have
done extensive searches on the internet for ideas and
materials (it will take me a few days to actually get
to it - the stuff is on my home computer, and it's
parents night tonight, then I'm off to a conference
for several days).

Sue