[teacherartexchange] Need idea for styrofoam

---------

From: SUSAN STEVENS (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 06:01:09 PST

Hello all!
I have received a donation of styrofoam....it is about
2 feet, by 3 feet, and 1/2 inch thick. It is smooth,
but not like a meat tray smooth. The white styrofoam
seems to be composed of little 'pellets'. It was an
over purchase from a stamp/scrapbooking store -
apparently very expensive. I have 20 or so sheets of
this.

I teach grade 9 - 12 visual arts....but nothing comes
to mind for using this product. I had originally
thought of doing a print, using a pencil to 'draw'
into the styrofoam (like the meat tray prints), but
it's consistently will not allow for clean lines.
Some sort of sculpture with senior students? Any
other ideas? The styrofoam is white, and apparently
takes paint very well. I assume spray-paint would
work also.