Re: [teacherartexchange] Tomorrow is my final group!

---------

From: woodyduncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 18:25:47 PST

On Mar 6, 2006, at 5:06 PM, marcia wrote:
> I have trouble with
> my noisy classes too and I've been doing a stop light
> thing. If the class volume level gets too loud, the
> class moves to "yellow" which means they are only
> allowed to whisper.

Art is one class where students get to talk while they work. At least I
allowed a reasonable amount of conversation, "unless we were drawing
from observation". Then, I required silence to keep in touch with their
right brain. Students must be made aware that this talking is a
privledge
that can and will be taken away if the noise level is not conducive to a
learning environment. I explained that the classroom environment was
set for my comfort zone, not theirs. Every teacher had different needs
and everything in this room was arranged so I could do my job, bringing
them the best art education experience I could deliver. They understood
and I got their cooperation.

Other teachers in my building did not understand, nor did they agree
with
my rules. Those teachers felt that every room should have the same
rules,
same consequences, same procedures so as the students moved from class
to class they would find everything the same. I bucked the trend because
I knew the kids were smarter than that and were also quite flexible.
I never
learned to discipline students for chewing gum or wearing flip flops
in class.
My mind was always on: do they understand, are they trying hard enough,
what do they need to understand better, etc. ???

The first rule in art is to be willing to break the rules if you have
a better idea.
                                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net