Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Tomorrow is my final group!

From: woodyduncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 17:54:34 PST

>> << Give your students
>> a context first so they will have something to wrap the theories
>> around.
>> Woody >>
>> Right on Woody, I realized somewhere at the end of my first year
>> that this is
>> a great approach at this level.
> I am in the middle of my first semester...could you explain what
> you mean
> context first to wrap theories around?
> Kristina

What I meant was not to begin by talking to students about the
elements of art:
Line, Shape, Color, etc. And not to present the principals of design:
Balance, Emphasis,
Movement, etc. Rather start them off creating something so they will
experience the
joy of the process. After creating a few products, then begin to show
them how artists
look at their work and how it might be improved. Perhaps there needs
to be a more
interesting variety of shapes or some cropping of shapes to create a
more interesting
play of negative spaces, etc. Only after my students have developed a
certain amount
of skill and confidence would I start a course by discussing things
like elements of art
and principles of design. I did do that with one class of eighth
graders who I had past
experience with and was sure could handle it. An example of pages
from one of their
art notebooks is on my web site at:
        I hope this explains my thinking, Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque