Re: [teacherartexchange] Advocacy - Eisner's Ten Lessons

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 13:20:52 PST

>Hi Becky and all,
>
>Since this is copyright awareness week.... I thought I might add that
>if you want to print out Eisner's Ten Lessons and give out to parents
>at open house, I would contact NAEA for permission. Handing out to
>students in your classroom if clearly Fair Use. I am certain NAEA
>would give you permission to give it out at Open House - I would ask
>as a courtesy.
>
>Remember to include this on the handouts.
>
>SOURCE: Eisner, E. (2002). The Arts and the Creation of Mind, In
>Chapter 4, What the Arts Teach and How It Shows. (pp. 70-92). Yale
>University Press. Available from NAEA Publications.
>
>Yes, Becky and All - I do have a page for Advocacy:
>http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/advocacy.htm
>NAEA is listed, too.
>
>Regards,
>
>Judy Decker

Judy,

I agree with what you say here, but I wish that NAEA would understand the benefits of simply include a printed permission on their site for advocacy copying. We all pay dues to them, yet they are wanting us to pay for their advocacy brochures and handouts. In my opinion, the more we use their advocacy materials with parents, administrators, school boards, etc. the more art teachers there will be to pay membership dues to NAEA. So long as these authorized copies give them full credit and includes the URL of the the site, I think it would be in everybody's best interest for them to them to publish this kind of provisional permission. It is good to see them providing more advocacy materials. I would like to see them publish much more advocacy literature on the Internet and encourage every art teacher and concerned parent to copy it and distribute it.

Marvin