RE: [teacherartexchange] camera obscura + cave paintings + theory

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 12:34:05 PST

Besides that--he's talking about sort of a yurt--not a cave--so it's hard to explain how they traced it on their cave?? The yurt has a large hole in the top for the smoke to escape--that would sort of eliminate the fleetive obscura image.

>>> KPRS2@Earthlink.net 03/05/06 12:32 PM >>>
Here's my question, and I emailed the guy:

Why are the pictures right side up in the caves, since camera obscura
"projects" upside down?

San D

It struck Gatton, a St. Francis High School art teacher, that the question
of how Paleolithic people got the notion to create representational art
could be answered by their living conditions. Holes in the animal hides that
covered their dwellings could have projected images from outside -- a
phenomenon of physics we now call camera obscura. The people could then have
traced the images onto their cave walls.

Go to his Web site, www.paleo-camera.com. Chances are you'll come away,
saying, "Why didn't I think of that?"