Re: [teacherartexchange] First Day Lesson for Middle School

---------

staciemich_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 12:28:36 PST

How funny, I was thinking of doing a mandala as the first project
because I thought that it would be easy and allow them to express their
personal selves. Today went okay. My sixth graders were pretty good.
The seventh grade class as a whole wasn't terrible, but a few already
started giving me trouble. Instead of acting mean and tyrannical, I
was funny and enthusiastic. The kids laughed. I asked them to write
down their expectations of me as a teacher and of the class. I also
asked them to tell me about their favorite teacher and why that teacher
is so good. Most of the students told me that they thought I seemed
cool, funny, inspiring and "straight." Lol, so I think it went over
well. Now the hard part will be continuing to be very firm, nipping
behavior problems right away while keeping their respect and keeping
the class fun. I was going to have the come up with their own rules
and make signs or something, but we didn't have time. Should I do that
tomorrow or head right into a project?

Stacie D.