Re: [teacherartexchange] Tomorrow is my final group!

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 06:34:43 PST

I too have difficult students in my art foundations class this semester
in high school (grade 10). So my heart goes out to you Stacie as I now
feel I am experiencing some of the frustration you mention. It appears
to me that many students are missing the basic paradigm of the
structure they find themselves in, i.e. that they are in a classroom
setting, that we are the teachers and they are the students. Simple and
basic, but altogether lacking in the framework of many students.
Believe it or not, I often have to stop the disorder in the class by
reminding them of this paradigm. Many students see us as parent figures
and feel they can dish out the same disrespect they often give a
parent. But we are not their parents, or their friends--we are their
teachers. Our role is very different, and a fair amount of distance is
necessary, I believe, in gaining respect. I have a colleague that is
buddies, similiar to an older brother, to many of the kids. He is
called by his last name, lets the kids rough house with him and
eachother, and they love him. Their work? Unimportant.
Standing up for your program and your role in that program can be
difficult and wearying. My other classes are mostly great, so I hang in
there. I am also trying out teaching university students this year--the
students are much better behaved, but the work load is tremendous.
Balance is key; walking the fence gets easier after awhile, but there
are always surprises.
Peggy