[teacherartexchange] First Day Lesson for Middle School

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 03:07:22 PST

Greetings Stacie and All,

I know I have told you this before.....but I will say it again. Kids
take ownership of the rules if they help make them. Have each table
brainstorm on expectations for the classrooms (try to avoid "rules").
Collect the rules each table come up with. Then in the even tally like
rules/expectations WILL be your expectations. Write the expectations
as positive statements. Post THEIR Expectations and give each student
one to sign that they also agree that those are the expectations for
success. I also posted a "Bill of Rights" for the art room.

The VERY best first day art lesson I did was the personal mandala (I
used this for two years). They did not finish it in class.... they had
to turn it in at the end of the week. I did not grade "talent" on it.
I only graded completeness. 10 points if finished - 7 if 3/4 done (no
one had less the 3/4 done to my recollection).

The personal mandala is NOT about religion... it is about CHARACTER
education. Character counts.

Here is the link to the lesson... I changed the handout just a bit:
http://www.teachervision.fen.com/classroom-management/lesson-plan/6041.html
They were instructed to take it home and go over it with their
parents. I never had anyone (parent or student ) complain about this
assignment. It was a way to get my expectations across -- bring in the
parents..... and get through to the kids that ART was the most
important subject in school.... because WE were going to do projects
to meet their goals - express what they put in their personal mandala.

Emily - if you see this - it sounds like you are well on your way!
Some people were born to teach middle school (smile). I think you are
one of them.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department