[teacherartexchange] animations

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 00:05:56 PST

I discovered that I could get a Palm IIIx to make small animations with a
program called Tealpaint. The Palm IIIx costs $33 on Amazon and the Teal
Paint program costs $20 on the Tealpoint.com web site. That's a lot less
than $300 for a Palm T/X or even $130 for a Nintendo DS--and you can't even
same your animation on a Nintendo. Just F. Y. I. It's fun to get results
from some old equipment that costs so much less than the latest
fly-to-the-moon hand-held.

At my church we looked at the summer school vacation bible school program.
They had one little story about a chipmunk whose friends put hot sauce in
his food without telling him, or asking him if it's all right. I suggested
that we should not teach children that it is fun to poison people with hot
sauce.. At least give him a chance to say no. The practice of putting
drugs in people's food and drink has gone completely out of control in my
city.

I suggested that the VBS include at least one day lesson of drawing where
the kids draw something from memory or imagination. Perhaps "Draw me a
picture of what you learned today." Most of the arts and crafts projects
are pre-fab objects that the child just learns how to put together. I know
it is fun to make something and have it turn out looking really good because
you followed directions, but that doesn't challenge the child's imagination
or critical thinking or their drawing ability.

Jean Womack