Re: [teacherartexchange] Tomorrow is my final group!

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 18:12:38 PST

Stacie: My experience is that kids respond to clear directions and expectations,
and that's true even of troubled kids. Praise the behaviors you want repeated,
correct those you don't. I have to believe with the middle school age group that
they want to please and will try if only they have a road map to knowing how.

I have a sixth grade wheel section right now who has been very noisy and when
they first came to me I thought they were probably beyond help. But I learned
that they'd had a green teacher for Language Transfer in the rotation before me
and I had to work on the noise/inattentiveness thing. Twice I ordered them
outside to come into class again, and told them that this is coming out of their
art-making time. Funny thing is they're now a lot more fun to work with than
my other wheel period, which at the beginning I thought would be the better
section.

In my second year teaching I had to be observed during a class where the kids
never stopped talking, and ignored me during instruction. "How does that make
you feel?" my I.S. asked.

Now I break them to the bit right from the beginning of the semester, and I keep
working on it, reward and punishmednt as needed throughout the semester
Silly me that it took three years, but I have finally learned that this is ART, not
math, and the school's test scores are not going to hang on whether I've covered
the material; as far as my district is concerned, we electives folk are teaching so
much more than test-taking.

Hang tough and hang in there.

Linda
But P.S.I have dubbed this semester's eighth grade class the "Sweathogs". It
helps me to love them even when I'm gnashing my teeth.