Re: [teacherartexchange] camera obscura + cave paintings + theory

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 16:42:17 PST

HAH!! Not only what you said, San, but...the animal depictions are all
highly stylized, not realistic. Gatton got a similar stylization by
tilting his drawing surface, but the famous horse cave drawing is deep
in a cave. SO...how could they have used a camera obscura deep inside
a cave?! There's no light coming in in those way back caverns!
AND...how did they get a bull or horse or deer to pose just so--always
in profile--and stay so still while the artists worked?!?! And in a
cave, yet?! Not to mention the fact that during the Paleolithic period,
I don't believe animals animals had been domesticated.

Maggie